These air fried chips are loaded with deliciousness! They're a crunchy, savory, spicy flavor bomb with a generous hand up from the umami loaded flavor combo of Somethin' To Beef About and Parmigiano-Reggiano!
Sometimes I like to complicate things - I'll take a simple process and overdo it, adding tons of superfluous steps and complicated techniques when a simple slice, toss and cook could do the trick. I did not complicate this recipe; these chips are easy to prep, easy to season, and easy to devour a whole bowl. The worst part is waiting for the cook.
Here's how we do it:
Kicked Up Potato Chips
Savory. Spicy. Umami. Air Fried.
- 4 medium yellow potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon of a neutral oil, like canola or grapeseed.
- 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 2 tablespoons of Somethin' To Beef About.
- A mandolin or some good knife skills.
- A large bowl.
- An Air Fryer.
- Using your mandolin, or some ninja level knife skills, slice your potatoes into thin slices. Place them in a bowl of ice cold water and let them soak for 10 minutes. Remove from water and thoroughly dry.
- Once the potato slices are dried, toss them in the oil and place into your cold air fryer. A thin layer is best, but you'll be agitating these over the course of the cook to ensure they all get some heat.
- Set the air fryer for 200 degrees and cook the potatoes for 25 minutes, shaking occasionally, every 5 to 7 minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, combine the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and Somethin' To Beef About into a bowl and mix thoroughly. If you want a super fine mixture, I'd pulse it in a food processor or a blender to create a powder. If you can't, don't sweat it. I broke out the mortar and pestle for this.
- Once the 25 minutes is up on the air fryer, toss the potato chips (they should be chip like at this point) and crank up the heat to 400 degrees, cooking for about 5 to 7 more minutes. The chips should get a nice browning and turn crispy. You will want to watch the cook at this point, shaking every 2 minutes to ensure they do not burn.
- Once your desired crispiness and color is achieved, remove from the air fryer and into a large bowl, immediately tossing the spice mixture onto the chips to coat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!